Last Updated on: 19th September 2023, 12:27 am
What Is An Outlet Pass In Basketball?
In basketball, an outlet pass is a long pass thrown by a player after a defensive rebound or a steal, with the intention of quickly transitioning from defense to offense. The outlet pass is usually thrown to a teammate already running down the court towards the opponent’s basket to create a fast break opportunity and catch the defense off guard.
The outlet pass is a crucial part of a team’s transition game, as it allows them to quickly move the ball up the court and score before the defense can set up. It requires good court vision, accuracy, timing, and the ability to read the defense and make quick decisions.
Some of the greatest outlet passers in basketball history include Bill Russell, Wes Unseld, Kevin Love, and LeBron James, among others. A well-executed outlet pass can be beautiful and can often lead to some of the most exciting plays in basketball.
Basketball Outlet Pass Drill
The “Rebound and Outlet” is an effective basketball outlet pass drill. Here’s how to do it:
- Divide your team into two groups, with one group at each end of the court.
- Have one player from each group start under the basket, with a coach or teammate standing at the top of the key with a ball.
- The coach or teammate throws the ball off the backboard, and the two players under the basket compete for the rebound.
- The player who gets the rebound immediately looks up the court and throws a long outlet pass to a teammate at the other end.
- The drill continues with the next two players in line, with each player getting a chance to rebound and make an outlet pass.
- You can add defenders to the court to simulate game-like pressure to make the drill more challenging.
This drill helps players work on their rebounding skills and their ability to quickly transition from defense to offense with a well-executed outlet pass. It also helps players develop their court vision and decision-making skills, as they must quickly assess the situation and pass to a teammate who is open and in a position to score.